DO´s and DONT´s, When Signing a Rental Agreement in Slovakia
2020, 30 Sept / Author: Xenia K.
Proofread by: Sherry R. / www.iproofing.net
If you want to avoid problems when renting an apartment in Slovakia, make sure you tick the following boxes:
- Never sign anything you can´t read. Saving money on translation of the rental agreement is one of the most detrimental financial decisions you can possibly make.
- Never pay any advance without having signed a contract.
- Never sign any contract without getting a full understanding of the principal terms and conditions. In case you do not comprehend something, ask the landlord to put an extra clarifying clause in the contract.
- Clarify the financials! You need to know what has to be paid, when and how, and what IS and IS NOT included in the monthly payment.
- Ensure that the contract contains the conditions required for returning the deposit and for settlement of energy consumption, if applicable.
- Ensure that the rental period and termination options are clearly defined in your rental agreement.
- Ensure you fully comprehend your rights and duties, and those of your landlord as well.
Please bear in mind that, if you sign a contract to your detriment, no lawyer in this world can reverse that and you will be subject to the terms of the contract until the landlord will be willing to sign a contract amendment.
For other recommendations read our article
Should you need any help, get in touch.